Welcome to my little corner of "The Cloud"
LIST OF FREE PATTERNS
BOTTOM LEFT SIDE OF PAGE

FAVORITE PAGES INDEX TOP RIGHT
DOUBLE CLICK ANY PHOTO TO ENLARGE FOR VIEWING
All patterns written in US crochet terms

Top 10 Most Popular Patterns This Week

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Wintergreen and Lace


size 35 x 41

Susan Bates US I - 9 hook
Bernat Baby Coordinates
 5.6 oz skeins  Approx 160g/ 394 m / 431 yds
Color A 1 skein pink (or color of choice)
  Color B 1 skein green (or color of choice)
 Color C 1 skein white (or color of choice)
Size and yarn requirements may vary due to choice of yarn and tension.  

Suggested color change chart included, this pattern does not mark when to change colors 

NOTE:  Those with some experience may wish to work this afghan face up if they understand the stitch pattern.  I find it easier to hide the joining line if each round is turned.  All single crochet rounds are worked on the wrong side, all double crochet rounds on the right side.  All color changes are begun with the single crochet row to preserve the appearance of the afghan.  You will be able to tell if the double crochet row is worked on the wrong side

RND 1:  Chain 3, work tr in first chain, (first loop made) ch 3, tr in top of first tr, (second loop made) continue in same manner until you have 10 loops.   
467

RND 2.  Ch 3 (counts as first dc), 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, in first loop, (this will be your first corner); work 3 dc in each of next 8 loops, 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc in last loop, (this will be your next 2 corners) working on opposite side of loops, work 3 dc in each of next 8 loops, end with 3 dc, ch 2, join to beginning ch 3. (this completes your last corner.), Turn.
470Note:  this auto separates the 2nd round into 3 dc groups.  1 dc group in each side loop and 3 dc groups in each end loop.  The dc groups on the ends will have a ch 2 space between each group which is the foundation for the corners.

Rnd 3. Ch 1, sc in 2 ch space, ch 3, sc in same sp, (to form corner loop);  (*ch 3, sc between next dc group) repeat across round to next corner 2 ch space.  In corner ch 2 space, work sc, ch 3, sc (form corner loop) ch 3 sc in next 2 ch space, ch 3, sc in same space, (second and third corner loop complete) ch 3, sc between next 3 dc group, across round.  Ending with, sc ch 3, sc in same 2 ch sp, chain 3 join to first sc.  Turn
 
Rnd 4.  Sl st into 3 ch loop, chain 3 (counts as first dc throughout) work 2 dc; 3 dc ch 2, 3 dc in corner loop (*Work 3 dc in each ch 3 space to next corner loop, work 3 dc ch 2, 3 dc in corner loop) Repeat around, join to top of beginning ch 3. Turn.

Rnd 5: Sc between dc groups, ch 3, sc between next group to corner.  In each corner work sc, ch 3 sc, around, join to first sc.  Turn

Rnd 6:  Sl st in 3 ch space, ch 3, 2 dc in same space, work 3 dc group in each 3 ch space to corner, 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc in each corner.  Join, to top of ch 3.  Turn

Color change at your discretion, every color change begins on a Sc and Chain stitch round.

Color Change 
Rounds 1 - 10 A = Pink
Rounds 11 - 12 B = Green 
Rounds 13 - 20 A = Pink
Rounds 21 - 22 B = Green 
Rounds 23 - 24 A = Pink
Rounds 25 - 30B = Green 
Rounds 31 - 32 C = White
Rounds 33 - 34 A = Pink
Rounds 35 - 36 B = Green 
                               
                                                                          BORDER 
IMG_4103

 Work in rounds  DO NOT TURN

Border stitch:   “V stitch” = 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc all in same space.

Round 1  On right side, join color C, in any chain 3 space, work as for round 5, join.

Round 2  Sl st into 3 chain space, ch 4, dc in same space, (counts as first “V” st,)  “V” st in each 3 chain space to corner. Work “V” st, chain 3,  “V” st  in corner, work around, join to third chain of beginning chain 4.

Round 3: Sl st into center of the “V” stitch, ch 4, dc in same space, (counts as first “V” st,)  “V” st in each 3 chain space to corner. Work “V” st, chain 3,  “V” st  in corner, work around, join to third

Repeat Round 3 to make your border the width you like 

Picot stitch:  Double crochet, chain 3, slip st in first chain, dc in same stitch = "V" st with picot.
Final round  Work "V" st with picot st, in the center of each “V” st of the previous row, working  (dc, picot, dc, picot, dc, picot, dc)  in the center 3 chain space of each point. 

                                                                    Color Variations:
Lavender / White
Flower for Lavender Afghan:
Use yarn, hook size and color(s) of your choice

Center:  Start with a magic loop, work (* popcorn stitch, ch 2) in the loop 6 times, join to first popcorn st and  draw the Magic loop closed.  Flower center is complete. 
You should have 6 popcorn stitches with a ch 2 space between each popcorn.

Petals:   *(slip st in next ch 2 space, ch 3, 3 dc, ch 3, sl st, all in same space), repeat around, join.  Flower complete.

Leaf:  chain 10, working in back loop only, 3 dc in fourth st from hook, dc in next 3 sts, hdc in next st, sc in next st, sl st in last st, ch 1, sl st in ch just made, rotate piece and working down the other side of the chain in the free loops, sl st in next st, sc in next st, hdc in next st, dc in next 3 sts, work 3 dc in next st, join with sl st to top of beg ch 3.



Yellow / Peach / White

For other blankets using this stitch please see: 
   

41 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!!!!!!! Works up very fast. Haven't got to the v-stitch yet but so far so good. I'm using white, grey, purple, variegated violets and light violet. From churchmom1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that sounds amazing. I love your colors. It works up well in worsted weight or chunky yarn too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful.
    I taught myself to crochet ,and knit :)
    Blessings, Renee
    @
    http://thesimplelife2015.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this pattern, however I don't understand the directions for the very first row. How do you do the "tr" after the ch3?

    Thanks
    Eugenia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Eugenia, I am sorry you are having a problem. For a better description and photos of how to use the chain loop start please see "Designing Box Stitch Afghans" (April 2013 on this blog) http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/2013/04/box-stitch-afghan-designs.html

      I am not sure how I got my patterns so spread out but I am currently trying to consolidate relevant details on each pattern.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your prompt reply. I have finished the first two rows and working on the third. The link you sent is very helpful.
    Eugenia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. This week I hope to post a Triangle Shawl and a Granny Pillow both made with this same stitch.

      Delete
  6. I love your pattern! It is very pretty! I am glad that it can be done in worsted weight yarn because I have a lot of it. From Miami, FL. By the way, can you tell me what does URL stand for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yarn amount required and size of the afghan will vary by yarn weight / hook size and artist's tension. I have not made this pattern in bulky yarn yet but I am sure it will work. I love items that are worked in rounds. I think the nice thing is you can make it any size you prefer. You can see this pattern, named "Cordelia" worked in Worsted Weight yarn on the W.I.P.'s post on this blog http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/2013/03/wips.html

      URL stands for Uniform Resource Locator, abbreviated to URL, also known as a web address. Thank you for your note
      Dorie

      Delete
  7. Thank you for telling me about the URL. Harriet in Miami, FL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Harriet,
      Your welcome. Helping, sharing and supporting one another is what it is all about.
      Dorie

      Delete
  8. I have just finished making this beautiful rug and I absolutely love it. I did it the same as you pink, white and green design

    ReplyDelete
  9. This pattern works up lovely in many colors but I just love the pink/green/white combination. It is so hard to choose colors sometimes. I also like this pattern because it works up quickly. I am so glad you enjoyed it.
    Thank you for your note.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep coming back to this pattern. I am really wanting to give it a shot but im re reading it several times to see if I can fully understand it. and im getting closer. But do you happen to have a video tutorial of some sort showing how to do this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am afraid I do not. At 70 years old I feel lucky to be able to manage my computer let alone try to figure out how to make a video. The same “pattern stitch” for wintergreen and lace is exercised in several patterns on my blog. It can be done side to side, such as in the “So Simple Box Stitch Shawl” or in rounds such as “35 Squares” or “Sweet Candy Sprinkles” where the squares are created by working in rounds. That sounds kind of stupid doesn’t it? But if you can make a square you can make a rectangle such as in “Wintergreen and Lace”
      Another post to view would be “Designing Box Stitch Afghans” where I talk about different ways to start for working side to side and also for a rectangle and I have posted a few different photos there too. If this does not help please email me with any questions and I will see what I can do to help you
      If you have any experience in crochet, it is all double crochet, single crochet and chain stitches so you may be surprised to find it is not really a difficult stitch pattern and works up rapidly once you get a feel for the flow of the stitches.

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous! Not something I'd make for a baby with all the small holes for finger & toes to get caught in, but absolutely great for toddlers & adults. Thank you for sharing your wonderful talents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty,
      I understand your concern, however I did not specify this as a baby blanket. You may notice, although nice for a personal size afghan, it is a rather generous size for a baby blanket. All Free Crochet classified it as a baby blanket perhaps because I used baby yarn for it’s construction, but then I use baby yarn for a lot of items because I love the softness. However, if you like the pattern, since it is not gauge restricted, anyone can use the yarn of their choice and make the blanket to the size they prefer. You can also see, “Designing Box Stitch Afghans’ for Squares or Side to Side Box Stitch Patterns.

      Thank you for your Comment. Dorie

      Delete
  12. this is a beautiful pattern Doris and I would like to make this for my friend who is soon to become a grandmother. I live in the UK and our wool (yarn) measurements are different. It is not usual practice to have skeins and most of our wool is sold by weight in grams. Do you know the weight of the skeins for this project? if not the yardage of the skeins would be helpful. thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The skeins I used were several years old and were 5.6 ounce skeins. What I find available for purchase now are actually 5 ounce for solid colors and 4.25 for Ombres. Like everything else the skeins are getting smaller but the price still goes up. I did check the labels and this is what I found:

      Contents: 75% Acrylic, 22% Rayon, 3% Nylon
      Put-up: 5.00 oz / 140 g
      Length: 388 yd / 355 m

      White (166048w)
      Contents: 75% Acrylic, 22% Rayon, 3% Nylon
      Put-up: 5.00 oz / 140 g
      Length: 457 yd / 418 m

      Ombres (166049)
      Contents: 71% Acrylic, 26% Rayon, 3% Nylon
      Put-up: 4.25 oz / 120 g
      Length: 392 yd / 358 m

      You may need to buy a bit more to accomplish the same size

      Delete
  13. I totally agree with your comment about skeins getting smaller but the price still goes up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Progress I guess. When I first started to buy yarn it was about 30 cents for 4 ounces. I have ancient skeins in my stash that are marked between 1.49 and 2.00 dollars. No wonder everyone talks about the "good old days". I don't know if life was easier, but it was more simple and certainly less expensive.

      Delete
  14. A very pretty pattern, Thank you so much. You can see my baby planket at :
    http://strick-blume.blogspot.co.at/2014/05/babydecke-72014.html
    Greatings from Ariane /Austria/Vienna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I visited your blog. Your blanket is beautiful. I love the colors. Thank you for sharing it with me and other readers. I love to see other crocheter’s work.
      Dorie

      Delete
  15. These are very lovely.. would like to make one.. just not sure I can I'm not to good with instructions.. but I love them.. thanks.. with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really too difficult, similar to the granny square but without the traditional holes. You could take a leftover ball of yarn and try it out. If it does not work out pull out the stitched and rewind the yarn. Nothing lost but a bit of your time. I put up a lot of photos and I answer questions. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
      Thanks for your note. Dorie

      Delete
    2. Love this pattern. Changed into a square to make a Lucy Ann blanket to donate to the local neo-natal unit at the children's hospital. I see you were going to make a triangle shawl. I would love that pattern as I make many prayer shawls. Thanks I love your work and patterns
      Ronnie

      Delete
  16. Thanks for sharing your ideas and knowledge! I appreciate new ideas and stitch variations. I make a LOT of lap blankets for our nursing home. At Christmas I give everyone either a lap blanket or a scarf, if they prefer (for those who are able to leave the Nursing Home to go on outings). I also make "footies" for Cook Children's Hospital in Ft. Worth and for the Children's Hosp. in Austin, and I have "Kaps for Kids", a program for any kid I see who is not wearing a hat when the weather is cool or cold. So I am in constant need of new ideas!! ( And yarn!), I am 73 yrs. young (crocheting helps keep me young), and I LOVE crocheting!
    Thanks to everyone everywhere who shares their ideas! God Bless you everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to share ideas and basic pattern stitches. I just want to encourage others to apply their ideas. There is an artist in each of us. I myself gift most everything I make and do many afghans, hats, shawls and scarves. I am 72 years young, very active and opinionated (I always say crocheting helps keep me out of jail), and I love crocheting and when I die I will have a hook in my hand. Thanks for your comment. You made my heart smile.

      Delete
  17. What a beautiful pattern. I knew as soon as I saw it I wanted to try it for grandchild # 6 due in march but didn't think it would be as easy to do as I found it to be. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. I love to share patterns that are quick and easy to make and can also be made in the color of your choice and the size you prefer. Thank you for your comment.
      Dorie

      Delete
  18. Can this be done in one color?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joan,
      I post my patterns and photos of the rendition of that pattern the way I see it. My intent is only to show the “way” I made mine, not to tell you, the artist, how you should perceive it. I give you the “how” but encourage everyone to choose their own colors and or sometimes even stitches and create it their way. The way it should look comes from inside you. Yes, you may copy my colors or you may choose your own. My patterns are very basic. No surprises....so there is a lot of flexibility. Work the basic pattern but add your own style and make it yours. There are a number of afghans in the box stitch design. Complete list of all posts is at the bottom left side of the the page. Thank you for asking. Dorie.

      Delete
  19. I love this blanket! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you love it. Thanks for the comment.
      Dorie

      Delete
  20. Oh my gosh, I love this pattern! I was taught on the granny square but this is not the same. It is absolutely the pattern I have been wanting. I am doing mine in two rows blue, two rows white, two rows green and two rows white. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you like it. Amazing what a simple change in stitch pattern can do isn't it. Dorie

      Delete
  21. So glad I found this afghan again. I made it in 2015 for my grandson and wanted to make it again. Kind of had to backwards search for it. I remembered the round green and white one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you back. Thank you for your comment. Dorie

      Delete