Welcome to my little corner of "The Cloud"
LIST OF FREE PATTERNS
BOTTOM LEFT SIDE OF PAGE

FAVORITE PAGES INDEX TOP RIGHT
DOUBLE CLICK ANY PHOTO TO ENLARGE FOR VIEWING
All patterns written in US crochet terms

Top 10 Most Popular Patterns This Week

Monday, November 11, 2013

Retro Poodle Tissue Topper



I saw one of these in the 1960's, thought it was cute, went home  and made a bunch of them from memory.  I have often been asked for this pattern and since I never had a pattern I have decided to share the way I always make mine.  They are now considered Retro or perhaps tacky but, cute in any color, I still love mine. 

Materials Roll of Toilet Tissue
Worsted weight yarn and Yarn Needle
Size I (9) crochet hook
Small amount fiber fill for head
20 MM Oval Wiggle eyes or Buttons or Felt
Small piece of Colored felt for nose
Glue for nose and eyes
Pom Pom makers sizes "1-3/8", and "2 1/2"
(I used Clover Pom Pom Makers)

* Magic circle or ring or loop all the same thing.  Video and Photo links


Body
Start with magic circle.
Rnd 1 ch 3, (always counts as first dc) 11 dc in ring, join with Slipstitch.
Rnd 2 ch 3, dc in same st, 2 dc in each st around, join (24 stitches)
Rnd 3 ch 3, dc in same st, *(dc in next st, 2 dc in next st ) around, join (36 stitches)
Rnd 4 ch 3, dc in same st, *(dc in next 2 stitches, 2 dc in next st) around (48 stitches)
Rnd 5 Begin side, ch 3, working in back loop only, dc in each dc around, join.
Rnd 6 (thru 12) ch 3, working in both loops double crochet in each stitch around, join, ch 3.
Rnd 13 sc in each stitch around, join, fasten off, work in yarn end.

Head (part one)
Start with Magic Circle, work 12 sc in circle, do not join. Continue working a single crochet in each stitch around, until tube measures 2 1/2 inches in height. End and leave a long tail for sewing. Draw the beginning magic circle tightly closed, secure and draw end to inside of tube. Stuff tube as full as you can to ensure head will be very firm and stand upright. Leave 16 inch tail for sewing

(part two)Start with Magic Circle, work 12 sc in circle. End off. Matching sitch to stitch sew disk to bottom of head piece to secure stuffing in place. Next, matching 12 stitches of starting ring on body with the 12 stitches of the end of tube, sew head tube to center of body so it stands upright like a post.

Pom-Poms Leaving 6 inch long tails on all Pom-poms
size "2 1/2" make 3 for head, 4 for legs and 1 for the tail (total 8)
size "1-3/8" make 1 for nose

Place cover on roll and using photo for a guide tie pom-poms onto cover to create appearance and shape of poodle.

Add tail first at the exact back of poodle body on the joining line, high enough so it is not touching the table beneath. Working on right side of cover use yarn needle to draw yarn end under several stitches to hold pom-pom in place and keep it from flopping. Knot several times and trim ends the length of the pom-pom yarn.

Turn poodle to front and to maintain head balance use the same method to add top pom-pom to exact center top of head.

The side pom-poms should be on the exact opposite side of the head, both on the exact same level, high enough to touch the top pom-pom but not so high as to merge with it.

Add nose before gluing the eyes in place. Place the nose just low enough to leave room for the eyes. Here may I add, contrary to popular belief, the eyes are located in the center of the head, not the nose. The nose is located in the center of the face. Trust me on this one.
Glue eyes in place and glue small felt heart or oval in place for nose.

If desired you can make one more pom-pom and tie to back of head level with the side pom-poms to make head appear more round.  You may ask why do this as this poodle is designed to be viewed from the front but it will offset the weight of the nose pom-pom so your head will stay straight. Yes, I do add a tail. It marks the exact center back and I just like it to have a tail.

Collar: Crochet a strip of 12 dc. Place around poodle's neck, sew ends together. 

NOTES:
Gold braid, ribbon or felt also make a nice collar.
Add small bell or yarn bow at neck.
Ribbon or yarn Bows in hair and/or small flowers are also cute.
Rhinestones or broken bits from old jewelry can be used for glitz.
Just remember the trim should be as washable as your poodle.


33 comments:

  1. OMG I have one of these packed away in my garage that my grandmother made for me 40 years ago! I may have to make one myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when everyone was making them in every possible color. Funny didn't seem like it was all that long ago. Time flies when you are having fun.
      Thanks for your comment.
      Dorie

      Delete
    2. the original pattern is in brochure called CROCHETED FAVORITES & ORIGINALS OF JESSIE ABULARACH both crohet and knit version I made a lot of them in the 80's

      Delete
    3. Thank you to Anonymous for that information, I have never seen a pattern although I have seen many interpretations of the infamous Poodle Toilet Tissue Cover made by others and since I am a visual learned this is my result.. I did a Google search for the noted pattern and did not find one. Perhaps it is out of print. I shall continue to search because I would love to see a professional pattern. I put up my creations and try to write a simple explanation of how I make them to share with other. Especially if I cannot find a written pattern.. Sometimes I even get to see what others have made. Thank you for your comment. Dorie

      Delete
  2. What is the "magic circle"? Would love to teach this to my granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magic circle or ring or loop all the same thing. Links to Video and Photo

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLUaywX0-WE

      http://www.allfreecrochet.com/Tutorials/How-to-Crochet-the-Magic-Circle

      Thank you for your comment Dorie

      Delete
  3. This brings back such sweet memories for me...I know just a tp cover but I am simple like that. LOL I love it and thank you for sharing. As soon as I am caught up I am making me one...:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we long for a more simple lifestyle we remember these little things that remind us of our more carefree days at home. I love retro patterns and am happy it brought a smile to you. Thanks for your comment Dorie

      Delete
  4. Thank you do much for sharing. Will definitely try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom used to make these to cover a bottle of wine for gifts. It was made in 2 pieces-- one for the bottom of the bottle & one to fit the neck of the bottle. Thanks for this pattern. I will be making some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an old pattern that was very popular. Being a senior now I like to see some of the Retro items and I guess I am not alone. I am glad you like the pattern. I love to share. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  6. thank you I have been searching for long time for this pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite welcome, I am glad you found it.
      Dorie

      Delete
  7. I have a weak spot for them too. So ugly they are cute. Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Love Love your patterns and am sooo happy to have found your site. Thank you for sharing all of these patterns with us! Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to share and delighted you like it. I have made them in all colors. They always bring a smile and that's what it is all about isn't it? Thanks for your comment.
      Dorie

      Delete
  9. Made the vintage poodle, my only concern, is the head is a bit wobbly. Anybody else have this problem?? Solutions???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The head does have to be very firmly stuffed and the disk sewed on the bottom before the head part is joined to the body. Also the 3 full sized pom-poms are needed on the head to distribute the weight so the weight of the nose pom-pom does not the head lean froward. A Popsicle stick could be inserted to make it sturdier but I have never done that.
      Thank you for your comment. Dorie

      Delete
    2. When my Grandmother made these she used 1/2 of a toilet paper roll (the card board) and stuffed it to give the head a dome shape. It gives more stability.

      Delete
    3. Sounds like an excellent idea, my only concern would be what would happen to the cardboard when it was washed. I believe I shall try a cylinder made of plastic canvas instead. Thank you for your excellent advise

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go to the right sidebar and choose the "Print or PDF" App. If that will not work for you go to the "Email Me" App and send your request directly to me. Instructions are there.
      Thank you for asking Dorie

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much. I found that and downloaded the pattern. I have wanted to make this for a couple of years. I loved them as child and wished I had one. :)

      Delete
    3. I love these tacky little guys and I have made them in all colors. Even red with an interchangeable Crocheted Heart / Wreath for holidays. They make me smile.
      Thank you for taking the time to comment. Dorie

      Delete
  11. I stumbled upon this page and am in the middle of making one for one of my co-workers. Thank you so much for laying this out in a very easy guide to follow! I'm sure this won't be the last one I make :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when everyone had one of these, they bring back a lot of memories to some people. I have made them in all colors but white, aqua and black are my favorites. Thank you for taking the time to make a comment.

      Delete
  12. You crochet like my granny did. She would see something and go home and make it. She taught herself to crochet and never learned to read a pattern. She would look at the picture and figure it out. She made clothes the same way. See a dress, go by the material and make the dress. I remember her making these little poodle tissue covers and we had one in the bathroom. She also made poodles that cover kleenix boxes. Any chance you made one of those too? I didn't inherit my grannys ability to look at something and make it. I need a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also self taught, would see something and go home and make it. Patterns were hard to get back then. Today, I am able to read and write crochet patterns. I also made my clothes the same way and I am probably about your Granny’s age.
      However I have not made a tissue box cover or a pattern for one. But I can assure you there are a lot of tissue box patterns on the internet both free and paid.
      with a bit of research you could probably find one that you like or a basic pattern that you could tweak to design your own.
      Thank you for your comment

      Thank you for asking
      Dorie

      http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/

      Delete