Welcome to my little corner of "The Cloud"
LIST OF FREE PATTERNS
BOTTOM LEFT SIDE OF PAGE

FAVORITE PAGES INDEX TOP RIGHT
DOUBLE CLICK ANY PHOTO TO ENLARGE FOR VIEWING
All patterns written in US crochet terms

Top 10 Most Popular Patterns This Week

Friday, August 17, 2012

Aqua Mist

Afghan Schematics are for those who have some experience in crochet.
The afghans were all made using a Basic Round Ripple afghan pattern.
The variations of each afghan is listed in the "Afghan Schematics"
found on the individual photo page of each afghan.

Aqua Mist Round Ripple Throw with Retro Pillow

(Pillow pattern is on a separate page)

This post show the photos and lists the materials used for this afghan and
also a description or "Schematic" of how it was created.

If you are new to this style afghan please read my page
Tips and Tricks of the Round Ripple Afghan.
http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/p/tips-and-tricks-of-round-ripple-afghan.html

The basic Round Ripple Afghan pattern
http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/p/basic-round-ripple-afghan-pattern.html
Written in American terminology

This is a small throw made to fit across the back of a love seat  It is about  40 to 45 inches in diameter but can easily be made larger with additional yarn.  The pillow was made from the yarn left after the throw was complete.  If you have your heart set on the pillow you may wish to make the pillow first.

NOTE:
The skeins of yarn I had were purchased about a year ago and were 6 ounces each but I have recently purchased Caron Simply Soft yarn in their "Ocean" color and I have discovered the skeins are now 5 ounces skeins.  Check the weight of the skeins you purchase to be sure you have enough for the set.  I crochet snug and you will not have any of the Aqua Mist to spare.  I did not use the full amount of the skeins of  Vanilla because I had a partial skein left from another project.  Thank goodness for no dye lot colors.  Knowing I would not have enough I purchased the second skein.  Unfortunately I did not weigh what I had before and don't know the exact amount needed but you do need more than 1 skein to be sure you have enough for the throw and the pillow.  You will have some of the vanilla color left over.
Materials for this set:
24 oz Caron Simply Soft Aqua Mist. Color A (or WW yarn of your choice)
12 oz Caron Simply Soft Vanilla.       Color B ( or WW yarn of your choice)
Susan Bates crochet hook size 5.50 US size 9 / I -- UK size 5
Straight Upholstery Needle or long craft needle
Two large shank style Buttons OR two can lids.

Special Stitches
Even shell = (dc, ch 2, dc) in two chain space of each point
Increase shell = (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in two chain space of each point
"V" stitch  = 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc in same stitch

Start:  center with slip loop or chain loop, work chain 4,  11 dc in loop for a total of 12 stitches.
Rounds  1 - 11 Double crochet with Color A following basic pattern sequence for increase and even  rows.
Round         12 Change to color B  work (1 "V" stitch, skip 1 st,) around having (1 dc, ch 2, 1 dc) in each point.                          
Round         13 Change to color A work 1 double crochet in each dc stitch, around working  (1 dc, ch 2, 1 dc) in the 2 ch space of point.



Round 14 - 25 Double crochet each round following basic pattern sequence for increase and even  rows.
Round         26 Change to color B work (1 "V" stitch, skip 1 st,) around, working *"double V" st in each point.  Point should be (1dc, ch 1, 1 dc, ch 2, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc )
Round         27 Change to color A work 1 double crochet in each dc stitch  around working ( 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in 2 ch space  at center of point.
Rounds 28 - 32 Double crochet each round following basic pattern sequence for increase and even rows.


This is where I added the border,  the afghan can be made larger by continuing to add rounds if you purchased additional yarn.


 BORDER
Round 33  Join Color B,  Work (V stitch, skip one st, V stitch in next st); around, working 1 V stitch in the chain 2 center space of all points.


At this point I had reached the exact size I needed, if you wish to add more rows to the border work 1 "V" stitch in every "V" stitch and (1 "V",
ch 2, 1 "V" stitch) in all points so it will continue to lay flat. 

Last Round:  Work (dc, picot in top of same dc , dc) in the center of each V stitch around, working   (dc, picot, dc, picot, dc, picot, dc)  in the 2 chain space of each point.


Retro Round Ripple Pillow Pattern  



Print Friendly

11 comments:

  1. I found you from Pinterest. Your blankets are beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rounds 1 - 11 Double crochet with Color A following basic pattern sequence for increase and even rows.

    Nowhere in the pattern does it say what the "basic pattern sequence for increase and even rows is." I would like to make this but don't know what you are talking about. I have made many afghans and have never seen a pattern that didn't give complete instructions like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put up many round ripple afghan patterns. There is only one basic pattern for that style afghan so rather than write it over and over I just put up the one full pattern. There is a link on the page that will take you to that pattern and there is also a link that will take you to a page with tips and tricks I have worked out while working round ripple afghan patterns. You can make a round ripple pattern any color/size you want with the basic pattern. To make one exactly like I have made you can follow the schematics which is on the page with the photo.

      Delete
    2. After I sent the message I found the link. I still don't like to have to print off two patterns in order to do one, but I can see your point and printed off both. I will keep the "basic" one safe in my afghan file as I do like the idea of doing something different each time. I also found your Kolors Trivet which is really striking. I want to do some of those as well. Your patterns are definitely something unusual and I like them. Immagination and creativity are great things, aren't they?

      Delete
    3. I thought of that too so I added the Print App that will allow you to save the file in PDF format since we are well on our way to a paperless society. I can’t tell you how many patterns I have printed out that I love but know I will never use. This way it is at my fingertips without paper and ink. I am glad you like my patterns and I know you can get many ideas from them. Thank you for your comments.



      Delete
  3. I too got taken aback by the "basic pattern sequence", but followed the link and actually incorporated it into ONE FILE and also converted it into a PDF format to include the "basic pattern sequence". I'm a beginning/intermediate crocheter so this was necessary for me to do in order not to get confused going between two patterns. :) I do LOVE this pattern though - and the pillows are AWESOME!!! Going to make quite a few of those. Thank you for your ingenuity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Luanne, I apologize for my 2 page patterns but it was the easiest way for me to get them out there. A round ripple pattern can be worked with many different stitches but there is only one basic pattern for the way to do it. It can get very confusing for me to write out a full detail pattern each and every time I post one so I wrote the basic pattern for two reasons. With a basic pattern, you can learn the fundamental process to create a round ripple star afghan and I hope to encourage you to style one of your very own. My posted afghans are only my offering of how you can tweak the basic pattern to create the secret afghan that lives in your heart. I put up the tips and tricks pages to ease you over the rough spots and encourage your creativity. If you swing a hook you are an artist and I want to entice you to fly free. Thanks for your comment......Dorie

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the pattern... used it for the base of a lovey... main color pink, finished in 3 rows of gray to match the elephant head. If I can figure out how to post a photo I will.
    And I will come back and make an afghan w/your pattern.. Once I got the rhythm, it worked up quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. Excellent use of a basic pattern. I would love to see it, but you cannot post a photo to this site. I do wish to see your project but I don't wish to make my email address public nor should you. If you use the Email Me application in the right sidebar it is private to me. Let me know you have a photo to share, I will reply to you with a return email that you can attach a photo. That way we can both keep our email address private from Spam

      Delete
  5. This one is just so lovely! I cannot wait to start working on it. :)

    ReplyDelete